HortNZ continues to advocate on behalf of growers in several regional council plan changes. Here’s a brief update.
Waikato Regional Council Plan Change 1 meeting
We are hosting a grower meeting at 7pm on Monday 22 June 2020 at the Pukekohe Indian Hall to discuss the appeal to the Environment Court. You can click here to register for the meeting on Facebook, or RSVP by email to Lucy Deverall. If you are unable to attend the meeting but are interested in the appeal, please contact Lucy Deverall.
HortNZ is developing a submission on the Tūtaekurī, Ahuriri, Ngaruroro and Karamū (TANK) catchments plan change. HortNZ is holding a grower meeting on at 7pm on Monday 22 June at the Twyford School Hall. Submissions close on 14 August.
Ngaruroro Water Conservation Order
HortNZ is developing evidence for the Water Conservation Order appeal hearing, which is planned for August/September. Before that, HortNZ will participate in pre-hearing mediation later this month.
Horowhenua / Manawatu
Horizons Plan Change 2
HortNZ, Potatoes NZ and growers are attending pre-hearing meetings with Horizons Regional Council alongside other submitters this week.
Manawatu District Plan Review – draft zoning proposals
Manawatu District Council is undertaking a review of residential, village, rural lifestyle and rural areas in the District Plan, and is making decisions about the future zoning of land in the Manawatū.
Key themes shaping this work are:
1. A growing, diversifying population with different housing needs
2. Looking after the versatile soils that underpin the Manawatū economy
3. The need for resilience in the face of a changing environment
The Council has draft proposals on its website for comment before 8 July. This is an early opportunity to be involved. Click here for more information.
Throughout June, a District Plan Review team is holding a series of Zoom events to share key information about the proposals. You can register for these events here.
Marlborough Environmental Plan appeal
HortNZ has submitted an appeal on the Proposed Marlborough Environment Plan decision. Our appeal covers:
- Rural Environment provisions: ensure that the policies manage all sensitive activities, appropriately provide for crop protection structures and greenhouses, align agrichemical rules across the plan with good practice, recognition of rotational cropping in cultivation rules, clearer provisions for a biosecurity response, excluding voltage increases from being permitted as ‘minor upgrading’.
- Water allocation: include provisions for rootstock survival water, and assessment of reasonable use as the first response in over-allocated Freshwater Management Units (FMUs) (before reducing allocations).
- Water quality: include food production values, remove arbitrary Nitrogen input limit.
Central Otago Plan Change 14 Hearing
On 27 May and 9 June, HortNZ presented evidence in support of its submission opposing the proposed zoning change in the Cromwell Basin that would enable residential development in the rural environment. Evidence presented included an industry statement, planning evidence and specialist soil/horticulture evidence.
The key message was that HortNZ supports ongoing rural uses of the site and are opposed to residential uses, given the proximity to established orcharding.