Gisborne Farm Environment Plan requirements
The Gisborne District Council’s Tairāwhiti Resource Management Plan requires all vegetable and cropping growers to prepare and submit a Farm Environment Plan by 1 May 2021.
The requirement comes under Rule 6.2.9 (3) of the Tairāwhiti Resource Management Plan. Without a submitted Farm Environment Plan growers will need to get a consent to operate.
- If a Farm Environment Plan isn’t supplied to GDC by 1 May 2021 a consent is required which may be more restrictive
- The details required by GDC for a Farm Environment Plan are outlined in appendix H20. Rule 6.2.9 (3)
- No cultivation within 5m of a waterway after 1 July 2021 is allowed, with some exceptions or mitigations
HortNZ are offering free Farm Environment Plan workshops for vegetable and cropping growers in Gisborne in February and March.
The workshops will assist growers to meet the deadline of the 1 May 2021 to supply a Farm Environment Plan to Gisborne District Council.
These workshops will step growers through a Farm Environment Plan using the NZGAP Environmental Management System (EMS) add-on module.
All growers interested in learning more about mapping, and management of soils, nutrient, and irrigation from experienced horticulture advisers are welcome to attend.
Talk to a Farm Environment Advisor
In addition to the workshops, you can talk one-on-one with an experienced Farm Environment Advisor. Between 12-2pm and 5-7pm on the above workshop days, advisers will be available to answer your questions at the Rose Room.
Where: Rose Room in the Lawson Field Theatre, behind the Gisborne District Council offices.
What you need to do before Workshop 2 on Thursday 4 March:
- Complete your digital property mapping and email to: email@example.com
- Complete your FEP checklists for mapping (Section 5) and soils (Section 6)
- Bring along:
- Some recent soil test results for nitrogen and phosphorous for two crops, check they are listed in the guideline below
- Your copy of the Reid and Morton (2019) Nutrient Management for Vegetable Crops in New Zealand guideline. I handed out copies last week. Here is a link to the online version, it is the first resource on the list.
- Your Irrigation management for vegetables and cropping (if you have one)
- Read through the FEP template checklists for mapping and soils before the first workshop and come with your questions
If you have any questions about the workshops, contact Ailsa Robertson on 027 3177 019.